Tuesday 4 September 2012

Anxiety continues.

School starts tomorrow for my sons. Son #2, my son who is struggling with anxiety issues, is full of worries about tomorrow. I try to be calm and talk about positive things, but he cannot see how he will ever be better. I just don't understand what he is worried about or why he becomes so consumed with anxiety. This summer holiday he has been pretty good, pretty normal.

He continues to see a therapist once a week through CAMHS who is using CBT but I can't see that it is having much effect. My son is stubborn and finds it difficult to open up to a stranger who he doesn't particularly like.

I just want him to be better, to live a normal life, to be happy. We have had times in the last 6 months when I longed to hear him laugh again and, thank goodness, he has laughed over these holidays. But we are back again to him being drawn and shadowed. I don't know how parents with seriously ill children cope because I find this situation so difficult. I keep plodding on, but just as I think things are getting better they crash back down.

His sadness and fear impact on his life in a way that is heartbreaking. He is such a bright, funny, cheerful boy ... or, at least, he was. I just don't understand this change. I hope that a new year at school brings new confidence and an end to this 6 months of awfulness.

2 comments:

  1. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers as you journey into this new school year.

    Crazy question, but do people in the UK ever homeschool their children? I know how big a deal that would be for you, but just wondered.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Inkling. Home schooling does happen here and a friend who does it swears by it. Although I was sceptical initially I do think there is a lot to be said for it. Having said that I really don't think its for us.It takes so much dedication and enthusiasm which, frankly, I don't have. To do it well takes someone pretty special and I am not that person.

    Thank you for your thoughts and for your prayers. S
    xxx

    ReplyDelete