Saturday 8 September 2012

New Term, an annoying husband and a good CBT for children book.

My husband is a miserable bugger sometimes. I am too, of course, but really ... He is really grumpy at the moment and having got up early then cooked a delicious lunch for him I was not impressed when he criticised it. It really was delicious, but the lack of compliments flowing from him made me ask him " Do you like it? Its yummy isn't it? " His reply was that yes it was nice, but that his noodles were stuck together. He was very lucky that he didn't get the bloody noodles over his head.

What is it with people who can't say nice things?? Did he need to say that some of the noodles were stuck together? Why couldn't he look for the positive? It wasn't that bad. It just pisses me off that I had worked hard, made a nice lunch and all he could do was criticise. I said to him " Can you not just be grateful I cooked you lunch? I've worked hard to make something delicious..." He tried to pass his comment off as a joke, but I didn't think it was funny.

I get annoyed that life is always worse for him. His work is harder. His body aches more than mine. For goodness sake. When he does cook, which is rarely, its always the same stuff - spag bol, roast if we're lucky. And I always praise what he does. Does he not realise that its me that cleans the toilet, does the shopping, hoovers, cooks,takes our son to all his therapist appointments ...

I am painting him in a bad light I realise and, to be honest, he is a good, kind man whom I love. Its just that sometimes a girl gets pissed off with their man and its easier to vent on here than to get into a full scale row. There are times I am glad that he works nights and I can just shut the door and settle down with a glass of wine by myself.

Changing the subject, my son's therapist recommended a book for me to read. It came yesterday and I'm about half way through. Its called Overcoming your child's fears and worries - A Guide for parents using Cognitive Behavioural Techniques. by Cathy Cresswell and Lucy Willetts. So far it seems pretty good and I am hoping I can get my husband to read it too so we can both work off the same page with our boy.



Whether or not he will remains to be seen, but I will try. I think he finds all this very difficult ( dur ... don't we all??) and tends to bury his head in the sand or get frustrated. I might vent my frustrations on here, but in real life and infront of my son I am very calm and caring. My husband struggles to know how to behave, how to talk to him.

Anyway I hope the book will help. My son's first week at school went pretty well. He was upset the second day, but enjoyed it when he got there. And ... good news ... he walked in all three days. I really hope this term will be better.

2 comments:

  1. Remember me?

    The other day I was cleaning the bathroom (my life is a living dream) when my BF came home (he goes out as the sound of the hoover disturbs him...) and he came in and said "thank you for doing the cleaning, I never say thank you but I always mean it". I was stunned. I went to say (as we women do) "that's alright", but instead I just said Thank you.

    It doesn't take much. It's just that we think of saying it more than they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I remember you!! How are you doing? They drive you mad don't they? Well, drive me mad definitely!

    ReplyDelete