Friday 2 November 2012

On the way to recovery

Right. Its been a long time since I posted and that is for good reasons. My son is beginning to get there as far as his moods go. The change has happened so slowly that it has been hardly noticeable, but the most important thing is that change has come.

He is not worrying as much any more and he is not obsessed with sickness or sadness. He is even laughing again, which may not sound much, but there was a time when I thought I might never hear him laugh again.

We are no longer going to CAMHS as the therapist felt that there was little more he could do for my son. I think the main reason for this was that my son refused point blank to open up to the man. It was a losing battle because my boy just did not respect or trust him. Personally I grew to like him and felt that he was trying hard to help, but our initial appointments where the therapist showed an amazing level of incompetence set the tone for my son's opinion.

An important point to remember for anyone out there ... Be ready, be on time for your patients, prepare the correct forms to be filled, read the instructions for your camera so that you don't spend pointless minutes fiddling about trying to turn the thing on ...

The great thing is that we have an open door for us in the future. The therapist told me that if my son starts to have problems again we can phone and go to visit. That is a relief for me as it took so long to get help in the first place.

I am not confident that my son will continue problem and depression free forever, but I hope he does and I am now better equipped to help him if he does start to have problems.

This whole episode has been so scary. I feel that I have coped more or less on my own for lots of it and having this blog has helped so much. I have always needed to write about my worries and problems and this has definitely been incredibly stressful. To see someone you love in such desperate straights is appalling and it has opened my eyes to the struggle people have to go through to get help. You would think that doctors would leap to help you and your child, but no, you have to fight and fight.

I just count us so incredibly fortunate that he seems to be on the way to recovery.

2 comments:

  1. You are such a good mama bear. I think of you guys and pray for you often, and I hope that your son continues to find joy and peace as he goes about his daily life. The battle to conquer fear is a big one, and having somebody like you by his side to help him keep fighting is such a gift. I'm quite a fan of you. =) xoxo love, Ink

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much lovely lady. I am a big fan of yours too. xxx

    ReplyDelete